Girls 14 National Roster
Girls 14 National Coaches
Girls 14 National News
2014 14-National Team Expectations (2013-08-27)
Goals – Together, we will develop a highly skilled competitive team that loves to play volleyball, supports our teammates, and strives to improve our volleyball leadership, communication, and mental preparedness.
We are preparing our players to compete for roster spots on their high school varsity and junior varsity teams.
Coaches – Greg McIntyre, Phil Oshida, and Caitlin Oshida (see http://club.brycvolleyballclub.org/coaches). Our coaches are IMPACT and CAP certified and provide substantial individual instruction to players in addition to team teaching. Individual and team improvement will be stressed, with the expectation that improvement will result in favorable tournament results.
Tournaments -- We are planning to compete in at least four multi-day volleyball tournaments, the CHRVA 14’s Regional Tournament, and several regional one-day tournaments. The multi-day tournaments are the MLK Kickoff Classic (January 18-20 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania), the Capitol Hill Classic (February 15-17 in Washington, DC), the Northeast Qualifier (April 18-20, which is Easter weekend, in National Harbor, Maryland), and Beachfest II (May in Ocean City, Maryland). Barring injury, we expect all of our players to be available to play in all matches of the multi-day tournaments.
Practices – Practices are likely to be 90 minutes to 2 hours in duration on Fridays and Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Locations will be local (e.g., Kings Glen ES, Poe MS, Laurel Ridge ES). Some additional practices and scrimmages will be on Saturdays or Sundays, primarily early in the season as we prepare for the MLK Kickoff Classic and Capitol Hill Classic Tournaments.
The Tournaments and Practices information is subject to change, but is accurate at this time (August 25, 2013).
Where the team members are playing this Fall 2013 (2013-08-26)
•Sydney Balderson - Junior Varsity, Fairfax High School
•Danielle Beirman - Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
•Narjes Bencheikh* - South County High School
•Grace Bergan - Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
•Jessica Berlin - Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
•Anna Bordell - Junior Varsity, Lake Braddock High School
•Lauren Budreau - Junior Varsity, West Springfield High School
•Sophie Bullard** - Robinson High School
•Anna Oneto - Varsity, Trinity Christian High School
•Emma Schloegel - Freshman, West Springfield High School
*Narjes was injured prior to high school tryouts and is expecting to be evaluated when she recovers.
**Sophie, having been selected to play on the Freshman Team at West Springfield High School, will be attending Robinson High School. Her high school volleyball status is unknown at this time.
Tournament Results in Spring 2013 (2013-08-25)
Beachfest II Tournament (2-day tournament)
May 11-12, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
• Finished 2nd out of 11 teams, which was 2nd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• A terrific way to end a very fun and successful season. The team was almost perfect in all aspects of the game on Saturday and not quite as sharp on Sunday.
• The players had fun with each other, both on and off the court in our travel to Ocean City for the tournament weekend.
• Expecting these players to be very competitive for positions on their high school volleyball teams when they enter 9th grade next fall.
Mason Dixon 14’s Invitational (1-day tournament)
May 4, 2013
Chesapeake City, Maryland
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 8 teams, which was 3rd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• Continuing to show improvement from all players. When we have the ball in play or transition, our team is tough to beat. Continue to want to improve serve receive passing.
MD Juniors 14’s Mixed (1-day tournament)
April 27, 2013
• Team is playing consistently skillful, enthusiastic, and fun volleyball. Continuing to improve late in the season. Still getting better.
CHRVA 14 Regionals – Club, Silver (1-day tournament)
April 13, 2013
Discovery Sports Center, Boyds, Maryland
• Finished 1st out of 8 teams
• Team was tremendous. Responded well to pressure. Terrific serving and middle hitting.
NEQ, Northeast Qualifier, USA Division (3-day tournament)
March 29-31, 2013 (played on Easter Sunday)
Gaylord Hotel and Conference Center, National Harbor, Maryland
• Finished 33rd out of 40 teams
• Very tough competition. The team played well. Tremendous effort by our players.
BAVA 13/14 Invitational (1-day tournament)
March 3, 2013
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 15 teams, which was 3rd place in the gold playoff bracket.
• The team was terrific in pool play, but was surprised at the much tougher competition in the playoffs. Need to improve ability to transition to compete with more difficult teams more quickly. Team was dominant in pool play with all skills working well.
2013 Capitol Hill Classic, 14 Club (3-day tournament)
February 16-19, 2013
Washington Convention Center, Washington, DC
• Finished 18th out of 69 teams, which was 2nd in the silver playoff bracket
• Played very well. Passing was OK, but needs to be more consistent and precise. Achieved seconds on all three days – 2nd in Saturday’s pool; 2nd in Sunday’s pool; 2nd in Monday’s silver bracket playoffs. Terrific effort over the 3 days. This was a marathon, not a sprint.
SMCM 13/14 Invitational (1-day tournament)
February 2, 2013
St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Lexington Park, Maryland
• Finished tied for 3rd out of 10 teams, which was third place in the gold playoff bracket. Lost in the semifinals.
• Played very well. Setting and hitting are getting more consistent. Had a key middle block. Serving remains a strength.
NVVA 14’s Volley Like a Rockstar (1-day tournament)
January 27, 2013
• Finished 5th out of 12 teams, which was 1st place in the silver playoff bracket
• Played well at times, but had difficulty sustaining quality actions. Encountered tougher serving than what we saw in Lancaster.
MLK Kickoff Classic (3-day tournament)
January 19-21, 2013
• Finished 9th out of 29 teams, which was 1st place in the silver playoff bracket
• The team played well, especially for their first tournament.
• Travel to Lancaster provided a tremendous opportunity for our players to get to know each other early in the season.
14 National Cougars Take Second at BEACHFEST II 20 (2013-05-12)
The 14 National Cougars traveled to Ocean City for their final tournament of the season. On the first day they finished their pool play undefeated and never losing a set. They continued playing strong winning their play in match for the Gold Division. Going into the Gold Division Finals, both the Cougars and their opponent, American 14-1, where both undefeated. American won the final with a score of 25-19 and 25-22. Great tournament and season Cougars.
14 National Cougars Take Second at BEACHFEST II 2013
14 NATIONAL WIN SILVER BRACKET AT MLK KICKOFF CLAS (2013-01-21)
The 14 National Cougars started the 2013 season strong winning the Silver Bracket at the MLK Kickoff Classic in Lancaster, PA by defeating CALI 14 BLUE 25-22, 25-11. In the first round of the 3 day tournament, the Cougars won all three of their matches only dropping one set. In the next round, the Cougars won 1 of 3 matches earning a spot in the Silver Bracket. In the Silver Bracket playoffs, the Cougars defeated Fusion VBC 14 Blue 20-25, 25-20, 15-6 in the quarte finals and defeated AVVC 14 White 25-18, 18-25, 15-6 in the semifinals. The Cougars finished the tournament by winnin 7 of 9 matches.
14 NATIONAL WIN SILVER BRACKET AT MLK KICKOFF CLASSIC
2013 Tournament Expectations (2012-10-23)
We are planning to compete in at least four multi-day volleyball tournaments, the CHRVA 14's Regional Tournament, and several regional one-day tournaments. The multi-day tournaments are the MLK Kickoff Classic (January 19-21 in Lancaster, PA), the Capitol Hill Classic (February 16-18 in Washington, DC), the Northeast Qualifier (March 29-31, Easter weekend, in National Harbor, MD), and Beachfest II (May in Ocean City, MD). We expect to practice on Wednesday and Friday evenings, and occasionally on Saturdays or Sundays. All of the above is subject to change, but is accurate at this time (October 22, 2012). -Coach Phil-